NAME: Verner A Tepe
POSITION FOR WHICH YOU ARE A CANDIDATE:
Elgin Township Trustee
1. Why are you seeking this position?
My wife and I moved to Elgin nine years ago and, among other things, enjoy the cultural diversity of the community. It is also obvious to us that there are significant challenges in the community in providing social services due to a loss of funding from governmental organizations. I am in a position where I have the time, energy, and experience to be able to give back to the community.
For the past 150 years the township has been run by the same party. Regardless of your specific party affiliation, it is time for a change. So I am running with a very qualified team of experienced professionals that can make positive contributions to bring Elgin Township into the 21st century and truly establish an organization that works for everyone.
2. What experience and background do you have which qualifies you for this position?
I am an experienced executive having successfully built my own company as well as assisted other companies in growing and managing their organizations. Although I am semi-retired, I still actively consult and am often asked to speak before various business and networking organizations. I am quite active in the Edgewater community (the Del Webb active adult community on Bowes Rd) and feel that my professional background has made me an effective organizer.
3. What will be your greatest challenge if elected?
believe there are several areas that need to be addressed:
1. The Township currently maintains about 20 miles of roads at a cost exceeding $60,000 per mile per year. Although not an easy process, I will work toward eliminating the road portion of the Township and moving the responsibility to the State, City, or County. Any of those bodies can do the work at a cost of close to 50% of the current expense. Saving Township Taxpayers about $500,000 per year.
2. I will endeavor to have the Township do a mailing – at least 2 times each year – to the Township residents, so they have a better understanding of what the Township does and the resources available to them. No such mailing has been done for 16 years.
Release for publication? YES
I will attend the forum? YES
Elections and voting are core concerns for the League of Women Voters. Year in and year out, Leagues are committed to providing fact-based information about issues and the positions candidates take on those issues to help voters make their own decisions and participate in the process.
The League of Women Voters never supports or opposes candidates for office or political parties. Any use of the League of Women Voters name in campaign advertising or literature has not been authorized by the League.