The League of Women Voters will celebrate its 92nd birthday on February 14. Founded in 1920 after winning the battle to get women the right to vote, the organization has become synonymous with education and information, especially around elections and voting.
The League of Women Voters of the Elgin Area is one of more than 800 Leagues in all 50 states. Since 1920, our goal has been to educate and inform. We respect all points of view; we don’t endorse or oppose any candidate or political party. This is what sets us apart from so many organizations, and it is why we are one of America’s most trusted organizations.”
“Our work helps to bridge the gap between voters and elected officials. From registering new voters to holding candidate debates and town hall meetings on important – and sometimes controversial – issues, LWVEA works to inform the public in the Fox Valley Communities of Bartlett, Carpentersville, Dundee, Elgin, Gilberts, Sleepy Hollow, and South Elgin about issues that impact their lives and give them avenues to express their opinions.”
“The most basic and important of these avenues is voting. It is our hope that everyone will make their voices heard this election year by ‘powering the vote.’ In Bartlett, Carpentersville, Dundee, Elgin, Gilberts, Sleepy Hollow, and South Elgin, League members will be assisting citizens in this process this year by registering voters, providing candidate and election information online, and hosting candidate debates.”
– Sigi Psimenos, President, LWVEA
The League’s one-stop election information site, www.vote411.org, is extremely popular. It has answers to frequently asked questions, such as where do I vote, what are the polling place hours, and how do I get an absentee ballot, as well as candidate information.
Membership in the League is open to men and women of all ages. For more information about the League (including how to join), visit http://lwvelginarea.org/join-us/.
Upcoming League Events:
- February 23, 2012 6 pm Batavia Public Library Candidates Forum – 25th & 33rd IL Senate, & 14th US Congressional – Partnering with KC LWV
- February 25, 2012 9 am Dundee Senior Center Candidates Forum – Kane County Board & Kane County Chair
- March 13, 2012 6 pm Streamwood High School Candidates Forum – Ill Senate 22,23,25,28 & 33 focusing on Education -Partnering with U-46 CAC, ETA
- Saturday, March 10, 2012, Women’s History Month Brunch at Randall Oaks Country Club, Dundee
- March 14, 2012, 6:30 pm -8:30 pm at Gail Borden Public Library – The Future for Mental Health in Kane County
- April 10, 2012, 7 pm at Gail Borden Public Library – Illinois Tax Policy and Our State Fiscal Crisis
- April 30, 2012, 6 pm – LWVEA Annual Meeting & potluck
- JANUARY Issue of The VOTER (lwvelginarea.org)